top of page
Image by Matese Fields

Student Visas

One of the most stressful parts of choosing the right English course in the UK is knowing which visa you can, or should use to enter the country.

At Think English, we can offer you advice on which visa to apply for and guide you throughout the process.

Standard Visitor Visa
If you would like to study English in the UK for up to 6 months (180 days), you can use a Standard Visitor Visa. You can come to the UK as a Standard Visitor:

  • for tourism, for example on a holiday or to see your family and friends

  • for certain business activities, for example attending a meeting

  • to do a short course of study

You may not have to apply for a visa. What you need to do depends on your nationality and what you plan to do in the UK.

Short Term Study Visa

If you would like to study English in the UK for between 6 and 11 months, the Short Term Study Visa is perfect for you. It costs £186 for a Short Term Study Visa.

Healthcare Surcharge

You’ll also have to pay the healthcare surcharge as part of your online application. It usually costs £470.
This is so you can use the National Health Service (NHS) in the UK.

Click here for more details.

EU Citizens

If you are an EU citizen and you were living in the UK before 1 January 2021, you can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living and working here.

If you would like to come to the UK for 6 months or less as an EU citizen you won’t need a visa, but you can’t work in the UK. The purpose of your visit must be to study English, see the UK as a tourist, or go on a business trip.

How To Apply

In most countries the visa application is submitted online through a visa application centre.

You can find visa application centres in your country on the UK government's website here.

For full information on visa requirements please visit the UKBA website.

bottom of page